English Level 1
The Functional Skills qualification in English at Level 1 is an ideal qualification for learners wishing to develop practical, transferable skills in English in order to work confidently, effectively and independently at work, in further study and in life.
It is suitable for a wide range of learners and fundamental to the successful completion of various wider qualifications, including Apprenticeships. This qualifications is also suitable for those preparing to progress to Functional Skills English at Level 2.
The English Level 1 course will enable you to revisit all the basics of English; expand your vocabulary, increase your knowledge of grammar and learn how to communicate in practical situations.
The Functional Skills qualifications in English (at all Levels), assess three components:
- speaking, listening and communication.
There are no specific recommended prior learning requirements for English Level 1.
All candidates will take an initial Skills Assessment and Diagnostic test (online or paper- based) to assess the appropriate level of entry.
Learners registered on these qualifications shouldn’t undertake another qualification at the same time with the same or a similar title, as duplication of learning may affect funding eligibility.
Units and Assessment
- Reading at Entry 1: Written or Mutiple Choice (online, using e-volve system)
- Writing at Entry 1: Written or Multiple Choice (online, using evolve system)
- Speaking, listening and communication at Entry 1: Written
Test duration and permitted materials
For written tests:
- Writing: test – 80 minutes (dictionary allowed)
- Reading: test – 70 minutes (dictionary allowed)
For multiple choice tests:
- Writing: test – 80 minutes (electronic grammar and spell checkers are permitted, internet access is not permitted)
- Reading: test -70 minutes (electronic grammar and spell checkers are permitted, internet access is not permitted)
One-to one support from friendly, experienced functional skills tutors.
Functional Skills Qualification in English at Entry 1
Successful completion of the course gives you a qualification that is accepted for entry into English Level 2
- Functional English – Level 2
If you have any questions about this course or would like to discuss further, please get in touch.